Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Friday Dress, Holiday Edition

Happy Holidays, everyone!


I've had this dress in my head for the longest time. In fact, ever since I saw the fabric from Les Fleurs collection in Miss Matatabi's shop. I knew that it was destined to become my daughter's holiday dress. 


Now, we don't really do Christmas dresses or pajamas in our family (though I'm kind of wishing we did, so I might have to change that). Christmas is not the main winter holiday in Japan, but I made two occasion dress last year (here and here), and the goal was to do the same again this year. When Celina launched her Friday Dress pattern, I knew it would be the perfect holiday dress. You can read all about it on the Petit a Petit blog here.


I made the size 5-6, as I did the last time, and am happy with the way it fits her. Though I must say that I used an older version of the pattern from testing, so if the neckline looks a bit high, that is the reason. I debated whether to use a different fabric for the bow like I did with the nani IRO fabric, but the wise Mie convinced me otherwise. And of course she was totally right. I also debated whether to use elastic in the sleeves or not, which is why it looks sort of half-finished. I think I am afraid of commitment, hahaha.


I love this view so much that I didn't change a thing except to make sure that I had enough fabric to make the sleeves this time. I really do like that pleat in the back. 


Oh! And I remembered to add the pockets this time, much to my daughter's delight. 

It's getting quite chilly around here, so I was relieved to see that the Fishtail Kimono I made last year still fits. And is appropriately shiny and gold.


I think it will be good for when we go visit the shrine at the New Year, an annual tradition for our family. 



I made the sleeves a bit longer than drafted on the Fishtail Kimono, as my daughter seems to have an issue understanding anything but "short" and "long" when it comes to sleeves. 

In case you're wondering, she absolutely loves this dress, as do I. It is just right for visiting the family during the holidays (as we intend to do), or partying it up while your mom takes pictures. 


I hope you are all enjoying your holidays, whether you are traveling or relaxing at home with your loved ones. Thank you so much for visiting the blog over this past year and leaving your kind words of encouragement! I appreciate it so much, and am looking forward to sharing things with you again next year! 

xxx
Emi

39 comments:

  1. Gosh Emi. That is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olu. It's one of those times where I kind of wish I had a dress like this, too.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely stunning. One of the most beautiful things that I've seen in all of 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Annika, that is such a kind and generous compliment! I am so honored. :)

      Delete
  3. Seriously GORGEOUS Emi!! Wowowow, what a vision you had here! Perfection! Thanks for the shout out ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie! If you hadn't advised me about the bow, I don't think it would have turned out half as nice!!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful !!! Wow wow wow you are so talented Emi !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet, Soso! I feel like this isn't really to do with me -- it's all in the pattern and the fabric :)

      Delete
  5. Wow wow wow ❤❤❤ this is Magic! So beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nelleke!! I think the combination is pretty special, too :)

      Delete
  6. So beautiful, Emi! The fabric is gorgeous! 💙💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olga!! I'm in love with this fabric, too!

      Delete
  7. This dress is so gorgeous Emi! One of my favorite girls dresses I've seen in ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, Justine, thank you so much!! That made my day :)

      Delete
  8. I think this is the best holiday dress I've ever seen! Love, love, love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Audrey!!! You are SO nice!!!!

      Delete
  9. This is seriously gorgeous. One of the best little girl's dresses I've seen anywhere! Perfect fabric and pattern pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Masha!! I've had a picture of it in my head for so long that I'm glad it turned out better than I imagined.

      Delete
  10. Incredibly beautiful. A true festive dress! 💛💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marieke!! I'm so glad you like it :)

      Delete
  11. Said it before and say it again: this is the most beautiful dress I saw this year! Perfection Emi! A million heart eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ines, you are TOO kind!!!! I'm so flattered that you like it -- you are amazing, so it means a lot to me <3

      Delete
  12. The dress is magical! Such a pretty fabric, perfect for a celebration. Thank you so much <3 Seriously this is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celina! My daughter loves it -- I think it's a winning combination of twirly dress + pockets & button-down front (she can dress herself). Great pattern!

      Delete
  13. Such a gorgeous dress! Perfect for festivities! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maria! She loved wearing it for the holidays :)

      Delete
  14. Just gorgeous Emi! Such a stunning dress and I love it paired with the fishtail! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! When I started making the dress, I knew that she would love wearing her "holiday Fishtail" with it.

      Delete
  15. Waw, such a Nice dress and it works so good with her skintone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's a really gorgeous fabric in real life.

      Delete
  16. Such a festive holiday dress! Beautiful, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Verinne! This fabric is perfect for the holidays :)

      Delete
  17. This is the best holiday dress I've seen. Love it so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thao! I'm going to have a hard time topping this one in my girl's eyes, heh heh.

      Delete
  18. Don't you love it when an idea you had in your head turn out so beautiful. The fabric is magical. I think you chose a great pattern for it. Hope you are having a wonderful time with your family <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenya. It really IS the perfect fabric. I had a great holiday! I hope you did, too <3

      Delete
  19. Such a lovely dress! The fabric is very mature, but the overall dress still is delightfully youthful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik