Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Women's Waterfall Raglan from Chalk and Notch

What better way to start off the new year than with a new women's pattern from Chalk and Notch?


It's Gabriela's first women's pattern for her collection, and it couldn't be more perfect!
I'm sure you will have seen the Waterfall Raglan for girls (available here). Well, in response to many, many requests from her fans, Gabriela created the Waterfall Raglan Dress & Top for women, which you can purchase in her Chalk and Notch shop, or in her Etsy shop, or on UpCraft Club here. It is on sale now until Sunday.

I was so excited to make this pattern for myself. I love the swingy feel of it with the fun high-low flounce. It's girly without being overly sweet, and I also love that it's meant for knits (you know me and comfort).


I made several versions during testing: one in a navy linen-cotton sweater knit that I bought locally (see below), one in an Art Gallery knit, and a dress in a super drapey rayon-lycra knit from Imagine Gnats. That last fabric is perfect for this pattern, and I made the dress version with it, which you can see if you scroll to the end.

As you can see, I didn't bother to iron the wrinkles out of this linen blend. I was so excited to use this fabric and didn't realize until I was cutting into it that I had barely enough for short sleeves, but I think it worked out okay.
The pattern comes in sizes 0 to 18, and is meant for Advanced Beginners. There are three sleeve lengths, and an optional pocket, which I have left off on mine. As with all of the Chalk and Notch patterns, it includes illustrated sewing instructions, a clickable table of contents, and measurements listed in both imperial and metric. It is a layered PDF pattern, so you can choose only the size/s you would like to print. It is formatted for US letter and A4 paper, and print shop copies are included in both US letter and A0 sizes.

I don't know why I'm making that face here. Oh wait, yes I do. This is the look of annoyance I often have on my face when my kids start acting up and I just want them to hurry up and take the photo, please. 
I made the straight size 0 during testing with all my samples, but I made the top with the size 2 arms in this Liberty knit, as I felt there might not be enough stretch to accommodate my beefy muscular erm, "strong" arms. Turns out I probably could have gone with the 0, but better safe than sorry, I say. 


Sorry for the tilted photos. That's what happens when you have to negotiate with your 4-year-old to get her to take photos of you. Ah, the things we do for our blogs, haha. My husband laughed when he saw these and commented that my expressions are so different when our kids take the photos vs. when he takes them. 

With that in mind, I'll leave you with some photos that he took, and let you be the judge. 



This is the 3/4 sleeve dress version (straight size 0) in that amazing fabric from Imagine Gnats. There are many colors, but I urge you to hurry if you want to get yourself some before I end up buying it all, haha. Kidding. Well, sort of. 


I thought I was "too old" to twirl, but put a fun dress on me and see what happens! Ha. Oh, and in case you were wondering, this is unhemmed and I am about 5'2" (barely). This dress is so comfortable that I might have worn it to sleep in once or twice. Might have, I said. ;) 



I hope I have convinced you to try out this pattern for yourself, and if you have a little girl to sew for, why not treat her to one, too? You can pick up the bundle here. You can find lots more inspiration in Gabriela's post here, and check out the hashtag #waterfallraglan on Instagram to see lots more fabulous dresses and tops!

20 comments:

  1. You certainly have! I was waiting for some inspirational pictures of the top version to decide whether to buy it, and you just made me think "yes!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I haven't replied - I must have responded in my head only, gah!! But thank you for your comment, dear Eva! These Waterfalls have gotten lots of wear in the meantime ;)

      Delete
  2. So pretty on you!!!! I think I'm going to have to negotiate with Ansley to take pictures of my Tallinn.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! And I would say (now that I've seen the photos) that she did a wonderful job!

      Delete
  3. Emi , this looks so comfy! Love it as a top and dress! I really like "the face"on the pictures taken by your little one!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Camelia! I love both versions, too. Maybe I ought to have my girls take my photos more often, haha!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much Emi, for all of your help, I don't think I could do this without you! I made a dress almost identical to yours, only with short sleeves. I'm waiting to shoot it before I can wear it :) Thanks again, you are the best! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Gabriela! I love that we are dress twinsies! :)

      Delete
  5. So in love with the Liberty of London version! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the Liberty version (I'm wearing it today, in fact!!) <3

      Delete
  6. Love this on you!!! All the versions are just prefect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Thao. Yours were fabulous!!

      Delete
  7. GAH, I absolutely LOVE each and every version you are showing here. Perfect fabric choices. I really want to look exactly like you in these styles hehe...we will see how it goes ;-) And I love the different expressions depending on who takes the photos..priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mie, you sure know how to make a girl feel amazing! And now I feel even worse that it took me so long to reply to your wonderful comments...I have got to get better at writing back immediately and not just in my head!!

      Delete
  8. Love all your versions but you know how partial I am with Liberty! ;-) Nonetheless, the dress is gorgeous, that fabric is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you as I made my Liberty top, Maria! You know that in my mind I associate you with those beautiful florals ;)

      Delete
  9. Might have? ;) Oh I finally got to see your top in Liberty! Stunning print. I agree, the fabric you used for the dress seems perfect for this pattern. OK time to stop chatter and go download the pattern already! Thank you for inspiration :) (Your kids take great pics, at least there is no little bit of finger in just about every one hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Jenya! I'm sure by now you have probably made 10 Waterfalls in the time it took me to respond to your lovely comments!! xxx

      Delete
  10. They are all gorgeous! Kids are very handy photographers hey? Mine are finally strong enough to hold up my heavy camera haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Brooke! That's exactly how I felt when my daughter announced that she is "fine" holding the heavy camera (which actually isn't that heavy compared to the serious ones!) ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik